C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:08:14 -0400
No, Mags, it was Charles Leroy Lowman School, in the San Fernando Valley.
If I'd gone on to the local public junior high for disabled students,  I
would have had to commute almost an hour from North Hollywood to Northridge.
But fortunately, I was mainstreamed into a local small parochial school, St.
Paul's.

This was in 1965-1968, long, long, long before the ADA!  But to tell you the
truth, I didn't have that much trouble in "normal" school (as we kids at
Lowman referred to the a-b schools) in Los Angeles as I did in senior high
in a small town in North Carolina.   What a culture shock and experience
that was!  I've never been back since graduation.

        Kathy S.