C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Ciotola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:24:26 PDT
Hi,
There are two surgical methods to correct this also.  There
is the Interacathetarical Baclofen Pump (ITB which is a pump
filled with spasticity medication.  Also there is selective
dorsal rhizotomy where they cut certain nerves in your spine
this procedure is not commonly performed on adults but there
is one doctor who does it.  His name is Dr. TS Park of St.
Louis.  Here are two sites with more info:

ITB: http://www.medtronic.com/neuro/itb/
rhizotomy: http://cerebralpalsy.wustl.edu

hope this helps,
David
Richard Hudson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I forwarded this from a friend with her permission<br><br>From:
[log in to unmask]<br><br>    My name is Andrea and I'm 23 years old. I do not
have CP, although I do<br>have<br> which is caused from a stroke. I was
wondering if there is any way to reduce<br>spasticity other than by taking
medication. I am currently taking valium to<br>help me. Other medications do
not seem to be effective or they have too many<br>side effects.<br>    I
really do not like taking valium because my prescribed dosage makes me<br>a
little drowsy and I am afraid that I will become addicted to it,
even<br>though my doctor assures me that I won't.<br>    I am inquiring about
this because I would like to drive, but my doctor<br>says that I'm still too
spastic and I need to get it controlled before I get<br>behind the wheel of an
automobile.<br>    If anyone could help me with this, I would appreciate