C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 15:57:27 -0400
Whoa there Jan!
 What makes you think an able bodied person would be any less committed to a
relationship than someone with a disability?
Anyone out there can break your heart--with or without a disability. I dont
think having a disability gives anyone more "staying power" than those
without.
I would look at a heck of alot more at the heart and mind of a person, than
based on disabled or not.
I think alot of time people think of what they can get out of a
realtionship, rather than "how can I serve this person?"
We live in a culture where the norm is trying to get "what is theirs". Or,
"I've got to take care of me before I can be of any good to someone else." I
think that is a big part of our country's high divorce rate (over half of
marriages end in divorce).
Just something you might want to consider when choosing a person to date,
and in thinking of your own motivations for wanting a relationship.
Stepping off of my soapbox now.
Humbly,
Laura