C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:55:57 EDT
As I wheel down the street I notice the grass, and all the flowers,
I notice the calico cat lying in the sun, its silky coat shiny in the sun,
Then bang, bang, skittle, skittle, I hit a broken piece of sidewalk,
My wheelchair jerks and I feel the pain in my neck and back,
Another tree - with its roots uploading the sidewalk,
Damn, why do they put trees in sidewalks?
Trees should be kept ten feet away from sidewalks,

Don't city planners know that all trees eventually grow roots too big to stay
under sidewalks?

I love trees as much as anybody else, but you cannot just keep pouring
asphalt over cracks in the sidewalk, this just make it dangerous for
everybody.  Last night I came over some part of 40th street that had sidewalk
going in 4 different angles. I was forced to go down into the street until I
found a driveway my wheelchair could get up.  In fact, I often ride the
quieter streets  instead of subjecting myself to the numerous bumps and
cracks in sidewalks.  I know that some bumps are inevitable, but if people
would just think a little more, then many of the cracks and bumps from
rooting trees would not happen anymore, and I, along with many others  could
enjoy my walks like everybody else.

Tamar Raine