C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dina Dror <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 02:15:03 EST
In a message dated 3/18/00 11:51:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< We were discussing the prohibition about writing the name of God in
 my Bible class just the other day.  We came to the conclusion that it was
 okay to write it out in English, since His real name is in Hebrew.  We know
 how to spell it (since it appears in the Torah), but have no clue how to
 pronounce it, because it is not allowed to be pronounced. >>

According to Orthodox Jewish Tradition, G-d's name is not allowed to be
spelled out in any language unless it is for sacred purposes such as writing
the Torah or other Holy works. The name Y*V* is based on the four letters
that spell out G-d's name in Hebrew, the Yud, Hey, Vov, Hey. However, since
we don't have the Temple nowadays in Jerusalem, and have been in exile for
over thousands of years, we don't know the exact pronunciation of it. We do
pronounce it the same way no matter how it is spelled, either with 2 Yuds, or
the four letters.

The Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem is the location of where the holiest spot
of the Temple was, the Holy Aron. The dome itself doesn't have any special
meaning for the Jews. According to Orthodox tradition, no one is allowed
inside there because of it's holiness. Once the Temple is rebuilt, which we
are waiting for it to happen, then only the High Priest is allowed to go in
once a year on the Holiest Day of the Year, Yom Kippur.

We are in the year 5760 in the Jewish calendar, not 5759.

Hope this helps some more,

Dina