C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:17:14 +0100
On Sunday 31 Mar 2002 2:45 pm, Michael Jeffries wrote:
> Found this on a newsgroup and I added a couple more from my own
> experiences
>

>  I need to know how the following would impact you
>
>   1. someone who tries to do everything for you, to the point
> others comment

I usually accept all offers of help, only I need to know I COULD do
it if they weren't there. I look on it as a charitable act towards
them.

>  2. someone you met for 30 seconds tells you they need someone else
> to be around to interpret for them rather than simply asking you to
> be patient or even finding out if they can understand your speech

Depends. If you need them to understand because you have no
alternative you have to struggle on, if there is an alternative don't
bother. Unfortunately this usually happens in pressure situations
where it is the persons job to deal with people quickly.

>   3. someone telling you they like being around you because they
> remind you of their old friend with cp

This is almost always a recipe for fun, what they're saying is "hey,
I've got an awful lot of pre-conceptions". Usually happens to me in
pubs. Some bloke will mistake me for someone they vaguely know (we
all look the same you know!!). Still, a steady source of "free"
drinks.

>  4.  someone telling you how their old friend with cp used to not
> like to walk so its amazing that you do

Everyone's different.

>  5. someone (NOT family or friend) telling you it scares them for
> you to be independent.

Never happened to me.

>  6.  You move in a new place and someone (not family or friend)
> tells you that you are taking too long to unpack because you are
> disabled and by yourself.

Being slow at doing things can be a problem, when it impacts on
others. Simple example: Queue in a shop. Its easy to get organised
while in the queue to get the money ready, but putting the change
back in is tricky since you are then under pressure since you are
holding up people behind. The best thing is to reduce that pressure
by moving aside after receiving the change, to let the next person
in, then you can take as long as you like.

> 7.  A doctor (not your own) tells you that you should be
> sterilized.

Sure it wasn't a vasectomy - sterilisations a bit harsh.

> 8. After raising one child by yourself, someone (not family or
> friend) tells you that you are incapable of raising a second child

Me and Lin had 5 year gaps between the kids so we could cope.

> 9. Finding someone to love and want to live with and some agency
> tells you that the two of you can't live together because of your
> disabilities

Most agencies will help, but don't expect them to move quickly, they
will be looking for long term commitment between the couple.