C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:49:50 -0500
Yes, I think we've got a lot more talk about than CP; I certainly don't let
it define my life or my interest, as it's not the most interesting thing to
me, and I certainly don't think it's the most interesting thing about me.
I've got a lot more going on in my life than CP. I mean, sure, we are CP's
but we're not just CP's, we're a lot of other things.

You know, when I see those 'inspirational' shows about people with
disabilities. they focus on the disability and not the person himself, which
makes him an object of pity, IMO.  That's why I don't like such shows.  What
do you all think?   I think I'm still hung up about being treated as such
when I was on an UCP telethon when I was a little girl (and that was a long
time ago!).  I remember when I got an Optimist Club award for Inspiration of
the Year when I was in junior high I was embarrassed because they gave it to
me because I was a successful Girl Scout with a disability, not because I
was a successful Scout, period.  I earned the First Class Badge by
fulfilling all the requirements (none of which were waived) and it had
nothing to do with my disability.

Kat