C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:05:44 +0100

>  The damn car overheated on the way out oof town and my
> son-in-law is still here 'til we get it fixed.
>
> Bobby
>
> Don't look now, Bobby, but have you seen the forecast for the
> rest of the week?  I'm dyin' here, man!  Well, not literally,
> like those nine elderly folks in Cinci, but the old
> land-whale's got zippo A/C and it makes for a rather sultry
> drive home through rush hour/construction traffic.  I'd get mad
> and have a good case of road rage going if it weren't too darn
> hot to expend the effort.  Criminy, it was 85 degrees/65%
> humidity during the late-nite news last night.

My wife got her new car last March through Motability, which
included A/C, unfortunately this lease/hire agreement only allows
12,000 miles a year and our recent hot spell has meant we're way
over budget on mileage. My 13 yr old Japanese rust bucket has so
many holes in the body work you don't need to use the windows.

Motability is quite a neat deal in the UK. My wife receives
Disability Benefit which is split into two components: a "living
allowance" which is meant to cover costs of aiders (at different
banding levels) and a "mobility allowance". If you receive the
top band you are allowed to commute this into a 3yr lease/hire
agreement on a car (although you have to pay for adaptions).

How does it work in the states?

Cheers

--
Deri James