C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:54:25 EST
Hi Deri-

Back when I was ridiig I was having privet lessons...for a while I did group
lessons but I did not like that as you only get to ride about 1/5 the amout
of time...the rest of the time you are just sitting there on the horse...not
that that's bad or anything but still...I like privet lessons because I can
really do things in them that there just is not time to do in a group of 7 or
8 riders and the ride only lasting 45 minuts.  When I was in group lessons
usualy everyone was only one or two other people who I could interact
with...they did the grouping by physical abilty and not by mental ability and
so sometimes some of the people in the group would not relize what was
happening which made me feel really bad for them...worse than I felt
myself...because there is no reson for anyone to talk down to anyone, people
should talk TO people, and a few in those groups I was in did not know they
were being talked down to.

Now being in a privet lesson this makes an instructor who is talking to you
like your retarded when in actuality you have an IQ of 120 in some areas very
annoying and hurtfull...I put up with it for 3 or 4 ten week periods and then
I could not stand it any longer...It was no longer joyfull for me to do it so
while I was getting some physical binifit, I wasn't getting any emotional
benifit in fact I was getting a negitave emotional benifit which shouldn't be
the case at all.  I stuck with the riding under Caroline for 3 or 4 ten week
periods thinking that she would pick up on the fact that I did not need to be
talked to like I had mentl retadation but she never stoped, even though I
talked to her about it and to the other instructors she never stopted.  I
don't talk down to any one, I talk to them...and I think that every one shold
talk TO each other...especialy someone who is spose to be making improvments
in your life..how can you help someone if your talking to them like they are
2...I don't get that way of thinking and don't find it funny...this was
someone who worked with disabled kids and adults every day and should act
better.

Just my oppion,
Anee

In a message dated 11/3/1999 9:32:27 PM Central Standard Time,