C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:41:02 -0700
--- Deri James <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > If they were permanent plates, you'd just have to
> get one for each
> > car.  I'd not mind doing that if I had to.
> >
> > Kat
>
> Problem with perm plates is that the car may have
> more than 1 driver,
> the concession is to a disabled person, not their
> car!!

We actually have a plate for both of our cars and Alex
is the disabled one and just turned 7. It'll be a
while before he's behind the wheel legally. I was
originally given 2 tags for the cars starting when
Alex was 3 years old and just got his first special
needs stroller/wc but Alex's older sibs and DH being a
bit in denial kept losing the tags. The result was me
having to unload that wc,assemble it and get Alex into
it, in unsafe parking spots with little room. It seems
the hospital parking lots were the worst( I think they
did it on purpose as a way to drum up more business
:P)
I finally took Alex and equipment to the DMV and
explained my problem and I was issued two plates. I
have no worry about the  kids/hubby abusing the
privilege as even today with Alex in the car they
choose to park in regular spots. I think it must be
awfully nice to be young and strong! I use the plates
privileges when ever I have Alex but park in regular
spots when he isn't with me. I get some really weird
looks parking in regular spots with the  plates
especially in bad weather with a handicapped spot
available up close.
Joanne