C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 07:54:41 -0500
I have heard many people have good results.  It seems to be a matter of
finding a doctor that has done a number of them and a center that is used to
working with the families.  It is surgery, and like all surgeries it carries
risk.  I would do some research into which center in the country has the
best outcomes and has been doing them for awhile and what type of support do
they offer post-implantation.

Beth t the OT
Subject: baclofen pump users please respond!

=20
My 13 year old son (quad CP) has had the trial for intrathecal baclofen =
and has been deemed a good candidate. .
He  walks with a walker (sith increasing difficulty due to stiffness of =
legs), has never had any surgeries and as a baby was extremely floppy. =
With a great deal of physical therapy he has developed some strength in =
his torso (can now sit well, uses a manual wheelchair moderately well).

He started developing spasticity in his legs when he was about 7 years =
old.  He has had botox twice - the first time it worked and then second =
time the results were minimal.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had direct experience =
with use of the baclofen pump
Specifically I would like to know:
Did the procedure result in improved function (better walking or =
standing)?
Were there any negative side-effects? (i.e. decreased function such as =
floppy torso?)