C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michel Gagnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 22:02:29 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here's the short story of how I spent my entire summer: I tried out the
> Freedom Concepts tricycle at the Abilities Expo and fell in love with it. Due
> to its size, approximately 79" in length and 34" wide, I have been trying to
> find a reasonable way to transport it with a compact car. I am looking into 2
> possible bike racks. One vertical, and the other horizontal. The vertical
> one, I already tried with the trike, and I can manage it. The horizontal one,
> I am not sure about yet. I am waiting to hear of a local place that has one.
>
> I tried out ALL of the other tricycles on the market: Trailmate, Torker,
> Worksman, Haluzak, and etc. I tried out at least 15 different ones. I found
> out that there is NO way that I can ride a tricycle in an upright position
> because of the way I move on the seat. It puts the pressure in all of the
> wrong places and causes me a LOT of pain. Some of the tricycles, I simply
> could not pedal. There wasn't enough leverage for me to do so. So that left
> me back to my original tricycle which I am more than willing to get. However,
> I have to find a way to be able to transport it on the back of my car.
>
> I had a video made of myself with the tricycle to prove to my family that I
> can do it. They were not impressed. :-(( Everyone else was. :-)) My father
> said that the shop owner was helping me. He did NOT help me at all. I told
> him he was only telling me how it works. I will have to take the front wheel
> off the trike no matter which bike rack I use. Legally, I can go to about 77"
> in length which will work with either rack. So, as soon as I can see the
> horizontal rack and make a true comparison test as to which rack will be
> better for me, I am getting the tricycle.
>
> Now, as for a wheelchair or an electric scooter, I totally understand people
> who need it completely. For those that can't manage any other way, yes, it is
> liberating. However, in my present situation, I can walk, and do walk without
> any aids. For me, it would not be advantageous to use one. It would only help
> me deteriorate that much faster in my abilities which I am not doing at the
> moment. I am improving all the time thanks to the riding. However, I am
> having difficulty in getting to class without getting winded along the way
> due to my weight issues. The tricycle would help me build up muscle strength
> and lose weight at the same time as well as conserve my energy in terms of
> carrying a back pack and etc. It might take the same amount of time to get to
> class, but instead of spending the entire time walking and worrying about
> time, I can get across the parking lot in moments, and get to the bike rack,
> lock the trike, and then walk the rest of the way to class. It would also
> enable me to be more independent while I am on the campus.
>
> Right now, if I want to be able to go from one building at one end of the
> [...]

Dina,

I looked at their web site http://www.freedomconcepts.com and was wondering
which model you were considering. I'm also wondering what you call a
horizontal vs a vertical rack: examples or web pointers ?

I also wonder whether you have considered a potential drawback of the
tricycle. Unless you have a really welcoming university, your tricycle will
be considered as a bike (not as a wheelchair), which means you will have to
lock it outside to bike racks. You'll also have to leave it outside at night
(it's equally bad on your car and almost as bad into its trunk), unless
you're not living on campus. Recumbrent bikes and trikes being unusual but
rather expensive, "little thieves" won't touch it, but professional ones
will prey on it, alas.

Regarding the bike rack, could you arrange a demonstration with your father
and/or mother on hand? Real-life 3-D is much better than video! I'm also
thinking of a bike rack that would attach the bike and lift it (actually tow
it up on the rack) like boat trailers do. Or maybe a rooftop rack like Atoc
Tandem Topper http://www.atoc.com would do the job better.

For that kind of transportation, have you considered a *manual" wheelchair,
that you would push either with your feet or your hands? Maybe a competition
chair so you go fast? (Maybe you did talk about it earlier, I don't
remember.) That way, you would still get exercise, plus it wouldn't stay on
bike racks and would also be useful inside.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I'm an avid cyclist myself (would get rid of
the car if I could), and would _love_ to see more cyclists on the road.
Maybe both: manual chair for campus and tricycle for long weekend rides (30
km +), shopping, etc.?

Regards,

Michel Gagnon -- Montréal (Québec, Canada)