C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:32:24 -0700
--- Deri James <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 March 2007 21:56, ken barber wrote:
> > some of the circumstances that one has is
> accidental
> > and under no ones control while some of the
> > circumsstances that one finds themselves in are no
> > accidents, but rather a result of choices made.
>
> Some "choices" are forced...

agreed some are, some are not. i think i at least
aluded to that. i agree some choices are made are the
best of serveral bad alturnatives, but then again some
choices are made with a bad one over a obvious good
one available.

> > ie:
> > your education did not just happen. you chose to
> stay
> > in school and so on. so yes, i agree that you do
> help
> > some of the less fortunate, however those that got
> > where they are by their own choices should be
> helped
> > to correct the results of their choices and get
> them
> > back on the road to self sufficency in as much as
> they
> > want to better themselves. i find myself with no
> dudy
> > to help someone who shows no desire to be helped
> > get to the point that they no longer neeed help.
>
> You are trying to make a distinction between
> "Deserving" and "Undeserving"
> poor, a very Victorian ethic.

victoria had some good ethics. they probably help
enland during her time.

> > feel a duty to help people who are genuinely in
> need
> > and have unforunate circumstances that prohibit
> them
> > from making it on their own. we in america are not
> > supposed to have class separations. but don't fool
> > yourself, it is there.
>
> If someone is in need then I'm happy for my tax
> pounds to help them, it does
> not matter how they got into that position. My only
> beef on tax is that it
> should be "fair", and to be fair it should be based
> on our income. If the
> govt take 40% of my income, ok, but please also take
> 40% of the £12,000,000

if they did not have those nasty loopholes then they
could get the 40% of the 12,000,000 pounds. why not
60%?

> bonus the chap upstairs got last month (in fact take
> all of it - he's an
> idiot - but that wouldn't be fair!!).

he's an idiot? who got the 12,000,000 pound bonus. we
all could hope to be idiots, i'd say.

> >    how much of ones wealth is enough to put pack
> into
> > society? half? 75%?
>
> Well, if you include indirect as well as direct
> taxation, I pay well over half
> my income as tax. In some European countries income
> over £100,000 are taxed
> at 99%.
>
> > what did you think of the pre-bate idea in the
> fair
> > tax proposal?
>
> I think you know. ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Deri
>
> hey deri, promise to read it and give me a mailing
address, and i'll send you a couple of books. get your
blood pressure way up. -:)

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.