C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:40:06 EST
In a message dated 02/15/2000 9:53:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I just wanted to say that I've found it pretty easy to be comfortable
 as a parent in the disability community. I know there's hostility
 toward us as non-disabled parents, but I can also see and understand
 where that comes from. I think it helps me be a better parent to both
 of my sons (one with cp, one without). So I guess the only thing I
 "need" from you guys is for you to talk more! :)

I'm sorry to hear that you have felt hostility Michelle.  This doesn't make
any sense because -- in my not-so-humble opinion -- the disability community
has a responsibility to be supportive of you.  Everybody is different though,
and of course PWDs aren't going to think alike just like nobody thinks
exactly alike.

What do you think is the cause of the hostility?  Is it because people think
that since you are not disabled that you can't understand your child's issues
-- or is it something else, or a combination of things?