C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 11:10:14 EDT
This is not the first time I heard this account from a parent.  I was deeply
moved for you when I read about your Mother's indifference or fear toward
Anthony and Joey.  How sad!  How sad for her, and for you and Mark and your
children!

If you like, I can posthumously adopt Joey as my grandson.  I have brazenly
adopted Tracy Latimer that way too.  November 23 is her birthday, and I
intend to celebrate her life, short though it may have been.  I will also
post something about it on that day.  I just missed Joey's birthday, but next
April 14th I will celebrate his life too.

I have identified with the parents of disabled children before on the subject
of lost friends.  In fact, when our Alexandria, VA nature program
(Kingfishers) started, I felt a great kinship with the parents I met because
of this common occurrence of abandoning the families due to disability.  That
kinship strengthened my resolve to fight well on behalf of their children.

I can also relate to your comments about post-disability friendships; they
appear to be genuine and lasting.  I am not so quick to use the term "friend"
now.  I never should have been, but yuk, what a hard way to learn that!

You are not rambling Yvonne.  This is good sharing and perhaps a catharsis
for you.  Additionally, I am personally bolstered by what you have said, and
I'm glad for you that you have dear friends now.

Betty (self-appointed adopted mom of Tracy, spastic quad CP 11/23/80 -
10/23/93; self-appointed adopted grandma to Yvonne and Mark's angel Joseph
4/14/97 - 12/31/98, cerebral atrophy, sev. CP, CVI, Infantile spasms, spina
bifida, BPD)

Told you I was brazen...

In a message dated 05/26/2000 10:35:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,