C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:24:39 +0100
>     I currently have my account set up in Repro mode so that
> copies of my own e-mails are mailed back to me at the same time
> as they are distributed to the rest of the list.  When
> examining these copies however I have seen that each time I hit
> the Enter  key  or reach the end of a line the copy contains
> either an = or an =20 .  I find this visually distracting and
> imagine that many of you must as well if your copies of my
> emails are in fact similarly adorned.  My questions are does
> anyone else have the same problem? Does anyone know what causes
> it?  What can I do to stop it from happening in the future?
> This problem seems to be limited to my C-Palsy e-mail. Any
> explanations and repair suggestions will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>                                                 Susan

Hi Susan,

You seem to be using Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00 to do your
postings, I'm afraid that I have never used this package before.
However, I have seen what you are describing before. I believe
the Microsoft mailers use these character sequences to signal a
"soft" line end (i.e. where to word wrap the end of line). This
is fine when the message is MIME encoded, since this convention
is undestood by the MIME decoder and it removes them and starts a
new line. For this to work Ok the mail header must include a
line which says that the message has been MIME encoded, the
LISTSERV software which runs at St Johns removes this important
line unless you set your account with the FULLHDR flag, which
isn't done by default.

There are 2 solutions to your problem:-

1.  Go into the address book of Outlook and uncheck any tick box
    which refers to "MIME encoding" or "Microsoft Rich Text
    format", (or alternative tick the box which says use "simple
    message format"). (Maybe someone with "Outlook Express" can
    help me out here!!).

2.  Change your account to FULLHDR (which should sort it for you
    but not others without FULLHDR).

Hope this helps.

--
Deri James