C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:20:22 +0000
On Thursday 08 Nov 2001 11:36 am, Barber, Kenneth L. wrote:

> i guess i am worried about my friends because of my family. i have
> a few, the closest being my younger brother. he went into alcohol
> rehab last week. i am going over today to see after a few things
> with my mother. my younger brother is the only one who is not a
> christian. when my dad died in july we all turned to god for
> stength. he turned to more alcohol.
> so if i seem a little sensative to the issue, you know why. and i
> do get concerned for you guys and your problems. i am concerned
> even when i do not express it.

Personally, I don't think alchohol is a "bad thing". Practically
anything can be abused, and at that point  becomes bad for you. I was
once banned from a surgical ward (visiting a friend) for causing too
much laughter - risk of wounds breaking open - obviously a case of
humour abuse!!

Is alchohol addictive at the chemical level (the way nicotine is)? I
didn't think it was (thinks: alchohol patches!!). Sure you can
believe you (can cope with life/forget problems/have courage) with a
couple of belters inside you, and become "addicted" to this thought
process and the way it makes you feel.

I don't drink at home (wife and elder kids do) without a meal, i.e.
no tumbler of whiskey, or a beer, watching TV. If I fancy a drink I
go out (either the local with Lin, or after work in London with
workmates).

Cheers

Deri