C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:36:01 EST
In a message dated 02/20/2000 7:36:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Betty

 I had never thought about Workmen's Comp claims in this light. It would be a
 real bitch to contract Hep C or HIV on the job and then not be able to prove
 it.

 Bobby

It would indeed.  I was hurt twice in the fire service, but neither injury
was too serious and I wasn't off long enough for worker's comp to kick in.
Once I was off for 3 or 4 days, the next one was a little more serious and I
was off for about two weeks.  That was a back injury.  In the federal
government, you have what's known as "traumatic injury leave" for the first
45 days, and you receive your regular paycheck.  Three days after your last
day of TI leave, you can apply for worker's comp.  If you get that, it's not
your full salary -- it's a fraction.

I was often amazed by the number of on the job injuries I saw in the federal
government (I don't mean just the fire service) that were miraculously healed
in exactly 45 days.

The federal government moves in mysterious ways -- or something like that.