C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 08:30:03 -0500
I'm with Anee here.  I think we take ourselves and our disabilities too darn
seriously.  Sure, having CP sucks, but so does political correctness.  The
disabled community (PWDs, LSTMFTs, PWAL, FTCSFS and whatever other acronyms
are popular this week) is in danger of of becoming a monoculture in that the
only issue they talk about, think about, champion is their disability.

With regards to the statement someone made earlier that when we see movies
featuring the disabled:  How many disabled people aspire to the theatrical
arts anyway?  Well, there's that blind guy who was popular for a while,
Matlin, and a handful of others, but you just can't take a PWD, hand them a
script and say, "Okay, act out this role in a multi-million dollar film."
Let's face it, it's a lot easier for a good actor to take on the
affectations of a PWD than vice versa.  How could "Rain Man" have been made
with the genuine article?

Personally, I am not offended by humor directed at anyone struck by one of
life's arrows of fate.  Everyone has some failing, idiosyncracy, foible that
makes them less than perfect.  Humor, by its very nature, brings our
failings to light.  It forces us to realize that we ARE less than perfect.
My father, when I was entering one of those "why me?" periods, said, "Look,
here are the hands we've been dealt.  Ain't a thing you can do to get new
cards, so you can either laugh and live, or cry and die."

We can sterilize our culture and make everything taboo that could possibly
offend, but it would not be a very interesting place to live--I sure
wouldn't want any part of it.

-Kyle