C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 09:36:25 -0400

From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: May 26, 2011 09:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - May 2011

Image removed by sender.

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science

May 2011

Image removed by sender.

Dear Cerebrum Reader,

A new article and a new book review have been added to Cerebrum's 2011 Web edition.

Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,md18,lwdq,dlq4,m3a0> Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,md18,lwdq,dlq4,m3a0> Epigenetics and the Human Brain: Where Nurture Meets Nature

By Isabelle M. Mansuy, Ph.D., and Safa Mohanna

While our genetic code determines a great deal of who and what we are, it does not act alone. It depends heavily on the epigenome, an elaborate marking of the DNA that controls the genome's functions. Because it is sensitive to the environment, the epigenome is a powerful link and relay between our genes and our surroundings. Epigenetic marks drive biological characteristics as diverse as memory, development, and disease susceptibility; thus, the nurture aspect of the nature/nurture interaction makes essential contributions to our body and behaviors.

Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,5ykv,2mks,dlq4,m3a0> Image removed by sender.

BOOK REVIEW

Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,5ykv,2mks,dlq4,m3a0> Man and Woman: An Inside Story

By Donald W. Pfaff, Ph.D.

Oxford University Press, 2010

Reviewed by Larry Cahill, Ph.D.

In Man and Woman: An Inside Story, writes Larry Cahill, Ph.D., author Donald W. Pfaff, Ph.D., "fails to capture the strikingly ubiquitous nature of sex influences on brain function."

Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0> Also in Cerebrum

We hope you enjoyed our recent article,  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,c8w,cqyc,dlq4,m3a0> "Diagnosing the DSM: Diagnostic Classification Needs Fundamental Reform" by Steven E. Hyman, M.D. This and all 1998-2011 articles and book features are available in our  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,5xld,izb3,dlq4,m3a0> Web edition archive.

Image removed by sender.

 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,5s31,5k6w,dlq4,m3a0> On the Dana Web Site

Now on Dana.org:  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,itcc,atv7,dlq4,m3a0> "Seeking the Earliest Signs of Autism" explains how researchers are looking for biomarkers that may signal when brain development starts to go awry. Also,  <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,buyy,hzwd,dlq4,m3a0> "Will Neuroscience Challenge the Legal Concept of Criminal Responsibility?" discusses how advances in neuroscience may help determine who is fit to stand trial.

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. Dana Foundation

Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind

212-223-4040
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,qwhj,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0> http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/

Image removed by sender.