C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 06:32:17 EDT
Howdy one and all,

First, I would like to bid a warm welcome to everyone who is new on the list.

I have a friend in my area (Alexandria, VA) who has CP, and who doesn't have
a computer.  Norma and I knew each other when we were kids.  She lived right
behind the school were I went.  We reunited about a year and a half ago when
we ran into each other at the store ("smacko").

Norma agreed to share her school experiences for Lee, and she said it was
okay to put her school story out...so here goes:

Norma told me that when she was in grade school, she had trouble with a phys
ed teacher, who made fun of her in class.  In front of all the students, he
demonstrated "proper" ways of walking, and used Norma as an example of how
one should not walk.

When her Mom found out what happened, she raised hell and got that teacher
fired (Yea Norma's Mom)!

Also, she had difficulty in a typing class due to the timed tests.  She
couldn't touch type as fast as necessary to meet the expectation of the
teacher, and was penalized.  Again, her Mom stepped in (again, YEA Norma's
Mom)!

Those were in the days before extra time was allotted for students with
disabilities were granted extra time for test taking and so forth.  I can't
account for her phys ed's dastardly behavior, except to say that he was a
total jerk who had no business working with children (or other living
things).

Speaking of working with children, that's what Norma does now.  She's a
kindergarten teacher, and I have no doubt a fine one.  If I had a child,
Norma would be one of the few people I would trust him with out of my sight.
She is patient and kind, and has all the other wonderful qualities that a
parent would want in their child's teacher.

Norma has the most terrific sense of humor, and it surprises me that she
hasn't attached playing cards to the spokes of my wheelchair tires yet.  No
doubt, she is stratigizing her attack even as I write.  She is also into
history, and loves to visit old houses and stuff. She's always telling me
about the latest place that she and her husband, Gary, visited.

I really love her.  She has been a God send to me as of late.  I was very
remiss in keeping up with our friendship when my Mom was dying, but she was
patient with me about that, and while I was recovering after Mom's death.  My
Mom loved her too, and they may have talked on the phone more than we did.

So, if you could welcome her, I will be more than happy to print your posts,
and pass messages back and forth.  For now I am using my words, but in the
future I'll play secretary and do the "dictation thing."

Anyway, you all know me.  Anyone who is patient enough to be my friend
deserves a round of applause.  Why she hasn't thrown me in the Potomac yet is
anyone's guess.

Betty