C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:20:05 -0600
Aloha,

I still read the list but have not written for a while. There is a
new program in Hawaii for people with disabilities. People have a lot
of fun and it is on Oahu now and will soon be on Maui.The web site is
www.accessurfhawaii.org
Case's father is the development director for this program. It is a
volunteer position at this point but they are raising money. They
have a 'carpet' that goes on the sand so wheelchairs can get to the
water. Then Hawaii waterman put folks on surfboards and take them
out. It's a good time and everyone loves it. If any of you are
planning to vacation here you might want to plan it around this once
a month event. They are planning to take the program national
probably first to Florida and California.
Case turned nine and I got him a personal trainer for his birthday. I
was concerned because he said he felt like his legs were rubber and
that he did not have much strength. It has worked great and he is
gaining strength fast. I think it was partly a confidence problem. At
any rate health plans do not give enough physical therapy.
When I told him what I was doing he said, "Well, Nana that is rather
an unusual gift for a nine year old but it seems like a good one."
Three times a week for 6 weeks and he has already gained tons from
it. He works really hard in training.

All the best to everyone,

Linda