C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 04:38:21 -0500
Elaine and Denise, (Share one, share all!)

I have read your post several times and I'm moved by your love and
determination.  I marvel at the strength you found to preserve and nurture
Joshua while resurrecting your own body and soul.

Lord knows what Denise touches when she writes, her greatness opens worlds
for us--well...maybe doors.  So, I'm not quite surprised you "outed," given
how many of us are molting after Denise turned on her laser beam. ;-)

After reading Denise and Mag some of my more prize childhood memories
started to get my attention.  Certainly not what you inspired in your post,
except that this seems an opportune time as any to continue my outing.

I recall being "beaten," hit pretty hard "for my own good," on many
occasions, to be "taught" the tough lessons, for my own good, of course, to
control my temper when my younger cousin or others took physical advantage
of me.  What I tend to remember of little Stevie being so enlightened by his
Mom was his discovery of a place within himself where he felt no pain.
Sooner or later the lesson would end and he could spend several days
silently sorting out his fury.  Many hours were spent plotting revenge,
sometimes acted on, sometimes not.  I learned to hold anger better than
happiness.

One lovely day Mother dearest stripped me naked and paraded me around a
group of visiting women to confirm that a disabled male child was otherwise
equipped to hopefully perform his future manly duties.  Nothing like
affirmative action and role modeling.  Helps explain some kinks, eh!  I came
to know more about shame and sexuality than I needed to know.

Some significant inroads occurred years earlier, at about two years, when
little Stevie was placed with Dr. Temple Faye (now the Institute(s) for
Human Potential).  The aim was to determine the extent of cerebral injury
and devise treatment.  My subjective responses included years of nightmares,
emotional disassociation, floating in endless darkness, despair, and
hopelessness as I begged my mother to stay with me and cried myself to sleep
knowing she wouldn't respond when I called for her.

You'd think this stuff got resolved reaching adulthood.  Became a man
carrying too much luggage, dropping suitcases, spilling contents, rushing
desperately to put everything back in, pick the cases up, start running
again.

One more.  Seems the love of my life spent more time talking with Mums than
me about a possible marriage (She many years later claimed I never
proposed.)  The deal they reached was that she marry another man then become
pregnant with my baby.  Said Mom to me one lovely day: "A normal girl may
love you but not be able to marry you because of your disability.  But if a
woman ever asks you for a baby then you should make one with her."  Good
Motherly advice on the role of a devoted son and dutiful man.

Another page for self esteem and denial.  Sorry I haven't put this into one
power packed, compact, brilliant, Denise-like work-up.  Maybe I'll let her
give me a rewrite.

I'm posting and going back to sleep.

Pardon my intrusion and thanks again for sharing.

Steve M.