C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mariana Ruybalid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 12:05:28 -0800
Dear Denise,
                First, I want to thank you for your sharings on denial.  They have been
both highly instructive and well-written, but even more, they open this
list to a new level of sharing which I appreciate. There are ways to deny
cp, without having a light brush of it.
        I have a moderately severe mixed-cp.  I am athetoid on the right side,
spastic on the left.  My speech is fuzzy but not that difficult.  I use an
electric wheel-chair outside and a walker, inside.  I live alone, and
attendants come three times a week for 4 hours each time.  I drink through
a straw, need to have my food cut up, but I can feed myself.
    I use a regular key-board with a guard over it so I can only hit one
key at a time.  I also use a kensington track-ball.  I have three master's
degrees and I have publish a book of poetry.  I am currently writing a novel.
        I am 49 years old.  My mother has always denied that I have cp.  And now
that my Dad has Alzheimer's, she denies that also.  As my mother's child, I
have denied my cp.  First, I thought that if I did my exercises and was a
good kid, I'd grow out of it.  When I was 25, and it became evident that I
wouldn't grow out of cp, I went through a religious phase and would wake up
every morning and check out whether or not God had healed me.  I wanted it
so bad because I thought I'd be more useful to God, have an easier life,
and maybe my mother would love me.  In my late 30's, I used drugs and
alcohol to deny my pain, both the psychic pain and physical pain because I
was at that time I had a lot of pain in my neck and shoulders, and was
losing the use of my left arm.
                I have done a lot of work on myself, seeing a psychologist, giving up
drugs and alcohol, giving up driving a car, and doing kung fu, feldenkrais,
shin jin jyutsu, and yoga.  Yesterday, I swam 20 laps in a warm water pool.
 I look for ways to relax my muscles without drugs or alcohol.  I take
calcium-magnesium-zinc.  I do keep a supply of flexiril for the bad spasms.
                I now accept that I will always have cp and seek to enjoy life with it,
while at the same time, being active in stretching, yoga and swimming.
                Denise, thanks again or your sharings on denial.  I hope that you will
respond to this posting, because sometimes when I share on this list, no
one responds and I feel more alone.
         Keep writing, Sister!
                                                                        Love,
                                                                                        Mariana