C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:46:37 -0400
Thanks Mag.

Who knows what Elaine's child will remember or how she'll handle her
experiences.  I sense she knows what her brother goes through and is afraid.
Right now it's up to Elaine and Briana to sort family matters.  Elaine has
the responsibility and the authority, Briana the possibility for
improvement.

At least, these days medical technology has advanced and surgeons usually
are competent.  Children receive anesthesia and pain killers, unlike earlier
times.

Our society is just starting to understand and intervene with families which
abuse their children.  I wonder how future disabled children will be
regarded and treated.

I recall my first hospital stay at two years and another around five.  The
first two were sufficiently traumatic to linger to this day and impress my
awareness.  Somewhere around nine was my first surgery, a tonsillectomy.  So
I'm late to the knife, for other than CP modifications.
I'm lucky my parent's didn't see or find a reason for surgery.

Steve