C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Jo Pink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 13:05:37 -0500
Anthony, can you feed yourself?  Kathy

-----Original Message-----
From:   Anthony Arnold [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Thursday, May 24, 2001 6:08 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Living Alone?

I have to agree with Cindy, I live by myself with a nurse coming in a hour a
day to shower, to dress and to sit out a sandwich for lunch.  Other than
that, I'm totally independent now with everything else even cleaning which I
love to do right away as the mess was made.  I know when I began living
alone in January, it was hard and took a lot of creative thinking and
figuring but to me it was fun to do and see the progress I was making on
myself.  An other point I would like to make, is you have to want to help
yourself and being independent instead of having somebody else want that for
you because you wouldn't be as successful if you were doing it just to
please somebody.  One other important point is to remember parents and other
family members and even attendants don't live forever, as a friend who was
also an attendant pointed out to me once.  I know it's work again but I feel
better knowing that I can do most things by myself now and plus my parents
are 50 and I would love to see them go to Hawaii or wherever to enjoy
themselves without having to worry about me or pawming me on to my brother
to be cared for.

Thanks,
Anthony