C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:02:04 EST
I know how you feel Sugar, and I remember that we hugged when we met last
year.  That meant a lot to me.

I don't get my minimum daily requirement of human contact either, and that
has changed me.  My cat wants to be in my lap constantly and that helps a
lot, but you know, we need that human touch too.

I absolutely without question know how you feel Mike.

When I worked at the Wild Bird Center, there was a lot of hugging.  Customers
hugged the staff and vice versa, my bosses hugged me; it was a daily hug
fest.  The people who owned the store next door, Rick's Wine and Gourmet,
were huggers too.  It was a great little strip mall to work in.

That was the best job I ever had, hands down.  I loved them like family, and
went through the most major pain I've ever been through when I couldn't work
there anymore.  I thought about suicide all the time.  I didn't eat for
nearly a month.  That was before I came to C-PALSY.

I'm okay now but you can bet that I'm changed.  Turning that episode of my
life into a positive learning experience and not allowing my heart to turn to
stone was the hardest work I've ever done.  No other experience compares or
comes close.

How the hell can people do that to a human being?  I think that's basically
what happened to Elizabeth Bouvier and what happens to a lot of us.  The
details are different, but the message is the same: You're different; you
don't belong.

I don't know why any disabled person would be shocked to hear me use the term
"Able Body Supremacy."

Beth, my dear, I always think of you when I say stuff like this.  You are not
included in these kinds of remarks, but I wonder if they ever hurts your
feelings?  I don't want to do that.  You are a terrific human.

Betty

In a message dated 11/02/2000 8:31:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Thanks Betty. there are times when I could use a hug, myself. As far as
> wanting
>  to commit suicide, the only time I really wanted to commit suicide was
> during my
>  year of "'forced imprisonment" at home.::-)  I was denied my freedom to
move
>  around, and couldn't get to town because of my home being 5 miles outside.
>  Therefore, I think it's from the despair that comes from being
> systematically and
>  categorically denied those things which other people take for granted, the
> sense
>  of belonging to someone, the love of another. I think it was Kyle or Bobby
> who
>  said something like, "Society.makes one disabled, not the C.P."
>  Mike

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
"I will either find a way or make one."