C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:02:53 EST
In a message dated 3/2/00 1:00:30 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< So I turn to all of you who
know more than I do about friendships when you have a disablity.  It breaks
my heart to think she may be lonely and I dont' know what to do about it.
Or if there is anything I can do.   I don't ask for help that often but I
am now.
thanks ahead, >>

Shawn,

    My heart goes out to you and your daughter. As parents we don't want our
children to hurt or suffer, but sometimes they must. My teenage years were
some of the loneliest, gut wrenching years of my life. Could my parents have
prrevented it? No, it is a creul fact of life. Adolescence, which in our
current society is beginning earlier and earlier is a time when the "body
beautiful" takes precedent over all other values, almost. That is when we who
are physically different are shunned.
Sadly, adolecence is also a time to break our ties to parents and become more
"bonded" with our age peers. Keep telling your daughter every good thing you
her in your post. It will help in the long run. But, sadly, she will have to
suffer lonliness for a while, but your emotional support at home can buffer
the hurt.
    I'm sorry I was not more helpful. I have been an adolescent with CP and I
have been the parent of 2 children who are gtown and happy due primarily to a
loving home and the grace of God. Good luck, Shawn , and don't despai .

Bobby