C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:54:39 -0500
(Guys, please snip the unnecessary parts when responding to a post.
Thank you!)

I most definitely prefer the term "handicapped" and abhor the now
hopefully defunct term "crippled" which always makes me think of the
Dickensian character Little Tim, who was a pathetic creature.

I remember once that my mother got incensed at a local pharmacist
when he referred to me as "crippled."  She actually told him just
what she thought of that term and never went back to that drugstore!
I wasn't there at the time, but wish I could have witnessed it.

Kat