C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:50:50 EDT
Hi-

You know I just wish people would stop looking at disability as something to
fix...something that needs improving.

And I am not trying to critize parents.  I am just trying to offer some
guidence based on my life experience thus far as a person with CP.  Trying to
make you think about things that you may not have thought of...that's all.
Offering a diffrent perspective.

I mean I am fine as I am, as long as I accept myself for who I am.  So who
cares if I use a wheelchair. (I don't)  Who cares if I walk funny or ruin my
shoes as one person said...who cares if I can't walk or stand at all. (I
don't)

The thing that counts is that I AM a productive member of socitey.  (and
that's what relly counts in the end)  I can work at a job.  I have or can get
an education.  I can and do go to college.  And walking or standing dosn't
make (in the big pictiure) a whole lot of impact on that.  (it inpacts on how
you do it but it dosn't flat out prevent you from doing it).  And I know not
everyone with CP can go to college because some have sever learning
dificulities or developmental delays but that is not the majority.

I know a high school teacher who has sever athetoid cp.  He can not stand,
walk, write, type, or feed himself without assistence.  He has sever speech
problems.  But he has a PhD in physics, has published 2 books...one in
english and one in korean...and is now teaching high school physics.  The
possibilities are endless.

I don't know many jobs were all you do is standing so I have never understood
what the big deal with being able to walk is.  (Just because eveyone elce
walks around on 2 legs?...I don't get it)...actually in about 6 grade I
became very cofterble with having cerebral palsy...to me it's not a big deal
any more...I am actualy in a way thankfull for my disabilty because I belive
that it has offered my grater educationl oppertunities...being more awear of
people...etc.  Even in jobs that you do standing up you still have to be able
to use your arms and hands.  To me it is much more important to be able to
use your upper body.  And if you can walk that's fine to.  But I think
sometimes to much attention is paied to the lower body becasue that's were
people notice diffrences right off.

I don;t know if this messege has a point or not.  I just wanted to share
these thoughts with all of you out there.

Anee
Webmaster,  <A
HREF="http://yahoo.geocities.com/HotSprings/Sauna/4441/CPIC.html">CPIC</A>

In a message dated 9/16/1999 12:46:40 AM Central Daylight Time,