C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:01:41 -0400
Wow, seems like I'm bombarding the list with a lot of questions lately.

Anyhow, as some of you might know, for my 16th birthday, my parents gave me
an adapted Ford Windstar.  It has an automatic ramp, and only one seat in
the front, which can be shifted from driver to passenger side.  That way, I
can be in either position in my wheelchair, without the hassle of
transferring.

It's wonderful, but here's the problem.  I'll park in a handicapped spot,
and come out to find someone parked in the striped area.  That means that I
have to wait until they come out to move their car, because I can't put the
ramp down.  Or, there will be no accessible spot available, so I'll park
diagonally across two to give myself enough room to get out.  Then another
car will come park diagonally next to me, again leaving no space to get in.

Has anyone come up with some solution to this problem?  I've seen people
with signs or stickers on their vans warning people about lifts, but I have
no clue where to get them.  Thanks again for any info...

~Joy~