C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 09:33:37 -0500
It's my understanding that the early vaqueros had a hand in breeding the
first longhorns.  When the first eastern cow folk tried to bring traditional
"beef" stock, the arid conditions, coyote predation of calves, and other
factors took their toll.  As I understand it, the meat is nothing to write
home about, compared to, say, Angus.  I read somewhere that another
advantage was that the longhorn herds were much easier to drive to/from
summer range lands in MT and WY.

I didn't know that they had been brought close to extinction.  What was the
problem?  Overgrazing and subsequent starvation?

-Kyle