C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:36:37 -0500
Hi Kristina,
There can be a lot of reasons children don't potty train so, excuse the long
email.  Usually this comes up a lot for us OT's and now and days the joke is
the kids save it all for when Ms. Beth comes to visit.  Something about all
that jumping up and down on balls and stuff.
As always, we start with medical reasons, constipation, diarrhea, urinary
tract infections, yeast infections and the like.  These are sometimes
painful and make going potty not so fun.  If she was a premie she may still
be getting over being born with an immature gastrointestinal tract and
nervous system.  Talk with your doc about these concerns
Next, how does she sit on the toilet.  Is she secure, legs on the ground,
able to hold on etc.  It's not fun to go when your trying not to fall in.
Does she have any sensory problems?  Hyper- or hyposensitivity? She may be
scared of the noises elimination makes in the toilet.  Is the seat too cold?
Discuss this with your local OT.  I hope she is still seeing an OT?  This
would be a great school goal.  Will potty independently!  Is she low tone in
the trunk?  Poor abdomenal strength and posture make it hard to know when to
go.
Note when she is most apt to go.  And take her before she goes.  Get into a
habit of sitting her on the potty every couple of hours.  Play around, read
the book "Everybody Poops", etc.
Sorry if I've repeated anything you may have tried but, I just wanted to get
out some general ideas.  Hope they help.

Beth the OT
email address: [log in to unmask]