C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 01:37:15 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Majordomo Account [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Justice For All Moderator
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 9:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Call-In Tuesday to Support Family Opportunity Act

                        Justice For All

        Call-In Tuesday to Support Family Opportunity Act

Action Alert from The Arc, [log in to unmask]:

May 23rd Call-In Day for the Family Opportunity Act Organized
Your Senators in Congress need to hear from you!!!

SUMMARY:
Advocates from several national disability, children and family and
health
care organizations have organized a call-in day to help secure passage
of
S. 2274, the Family Opportunity Act.

This bill, introduced by Senators Grassley (R-IA) and Kennedy (D-MA),
helps middle-income families caring for a child with disabilities and
special health care needs by allowing them to buy into needed Medicaid
services (see May 8 Action Alert). The two sponsors of this bill need
the
support of your Senators to pass the bill this year. It is already May
and
the Congressional year ends in October.

ACTION:

Call or fax your two Senators on Tuesday, May 23. If you have already
done
so, do it again! The Senator's switchboards should be lit up for every
child with disabilities and special health care needs throughout this
country. U.S. Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121

MESSAGE:

* I am contacting you as a parent of a child with mental retardation (or
other developmental disabilities) and special health care needs and
asking
that you co-sponsor S. 2274, the Family Opportunity Act. As a parent, I
know first-hand about the challenges of caring for a child with
disabilities and special health care needs. We are asking for your help.
We need improved access to special health care services for our child.
This bill would allow us, as parents, to pay a premium for necessary
Medicaid services for our child.

* I am contacting you as a professional in the disability field and I
work
with many parents of children with special health care needs.  As a
professional, I know first-hand about the challenges of caring for a
child
with disabilities and special health care needs. We are asking for your
help. We need improved access to special health care services for
children. This bill would allow middle-income parents to pay a premium
for
necessary Medicaid services for their children. I am asking that you
co-sponsor S. 2274, the Family Opportunity Act.

* Talk about your child and his or her health care needs. Make an
argument
for why access to Medicaid services would help.

* Make sure your Senator's office knows that YOU are a constituent.

* PLEASE Cosponsor S. 2274.

For more info:
Kathy McGinley or Kim Musheno, 202-785-3388.
The Arc of the United States - http://www.thearc.org
Governmental Affairs Office,
1730 K Street, N.W., Suite 1212, Washington, D.C. 20006
(202) 785-3388 / FAX (202) 467-4179 /
TDD (202) 785-3411 / E-Mail [log in to unmask]

--
Fred Fay
Chair, Justice For All

Register to Vote Online at http://www.fec.gov/votregis/vr.htm