C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:17:36 -0400
i'd like to approach a subject. i'll first say i am a "walker" but, because
i know as i age i could end up in a chair or scooter, i have tried to see
things from a "wheelie" point of veiw. not totally possible, but for
example, i critisized the placement of the disability parking at one of our
buildings, because of what it would take to get to the building front
entrance in a chair. horrendous lack of thought.
  anyway, i have noticed two instances of something i thing might be a
problem for "wheelies" in disability accessable restrooms. in these two the
toilet tissue is place at a distance from the toilet that my perception is
that someone whose legs could not bear some weight, would have to lean
forward far enough to be very close to falling off.
  in my mystery shopping shops, one thing that we always heck are the
restrooms. i particuly notice the accessable portion. i do not want to write
up a problem if it really is a non-problem. do you guys run upon this often
and is it a problem for you guys in chairs or do you have a way to handle
it?