C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:19:28 -0500
Seeing this discussion come up reminds me of my first personal care
attendant I had right after I decided to move out of my parent's house.  At
that time we didn't really know how much assistance I would need, so we
decided to hire a live-in attendant, and the guy we hired worked wonderfully
to the most part.  Before we hired him, he spent several years working for
nursing homes where everything is structured, and when he came to live with
me, I had a structured schedule to follow, and whenever we decided to go
outside to sit he would call my parents to tell them until my parents
finally told him they appreciate it but they don't need or want to know
everything and that I could basically do anything.  And now 8 years later,
I'm basically independent with a attendant coming in a few hours a day.  I
can come and go any time I please besides the hours I work which is
understandable.

Kathy, I know this is something you don't want to hear, but I think you have
to prove yourself before they grant you the level of independence you want.
It's a lot like if I had a 16yr old daughter, she would need to prove
herself before I would give her the car keys.  I think it's this common
principal we have to follow in independent living too.  I have even had to
prove myself at work, and recently I got my 4th raise in 5 years.  Sure
everybody likes chocolate cake but it doesn't come without paying a price.

Thanks,
Anthony
Visit my website at www.anthonyarnold.net