C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:21:43 -0400
  _____

From: FDDC [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 7:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: NCD Youth Advisory Committee

Recruitment Announcement

Youth Advisory Committee for the National Council on Disability

Washington, DC: The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) for the National Council
on Disability (NCD) is announcing the opening of a nationwide search for new
members. The YAC, a 12 member advisory committee ranging in age from 16-25,
is recruiting members from cross disability sectors, diverse cultures and in
under represented areas of the country.

The YAC ensures that NCD's policy recommendations and activities give
consideration to the perspectives of young people with disabilities. NCD
is an independent federal agency, made up with 15 executive members
appointed by the president, and their responsibility is to make
recommendations to the President and Congress on issues affecting
Americans with disabilities. NCD's overall purpose is to promote
policies, programs, practices, and procedures that guarantee equal
opportunity for all individuals with disabilities, regardless of the
nature or severity of the disability; and to empower Individuals with
disabilities to achieve economic self-sufficiency, independent living,
and inclusion and integration into all aspects of society.

We have worked really hard, but there is more to do, and there is a big
responsibility placed on anyone who joins us in the task of raising youth
voices, says Isaac Huff, YAC Chair.  He continues, But, with the
opportunity to recruit new members, I believe we can continue to be trail
blazers in the community for youth with disabilities.

The recruiting process begins on August 9, 2005 and will close September 18,
2005 (i.e., e-mails by 12 midnight & postal mail marked by this date). To
submit an application, please send three documents
(1) a resume, (2) a letter of recommendation, and (3) a cover letter
pointing out your leadership experiences and your disability oriented
experiences to: [log in to unmask]; if using postal mail, please send
documents to:

YOUTH-YAC Recruiting
National Council on Disability
1331 F Street, Suite 850
Washington, DC 20004

If you have further questions please feel free to contact Isaac Huff, YAC
Chair at: [log in to unmask]  Or Rebecca Hare, YAC Vice-Chair at

To read more about the YACs past work, check the NCD Website at:
www.ncd.gov <http://www.ncd.gov/>

Please Disseminate: Youth Advisory Committee Recruitment

This is a great opportunity for any leader! Feel free to contact me with
any questions.

Rebecca Hare
NCLD-Youth
Institute for Educational Leadership