C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Zubko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 20:46:15 -0500
Hi,

I have stayed out of this debate as long as I could but now find it
necessary to write something. I am 23 years old, and live with chronic pain
due to my spastic diplegic cerebral palsy. My most trusted physician has
determined after many tests that the pain is from spasticity, and nothing
else. I have had many surgeries in my life, among them, selective dorsal
rhizotomy. I have tried all medicines to control my spasticity, and find
they help for a short while, but am now, too, considering the intrathecal
baclofen pump. I don't think there is anything unnatural about spasticity,
but just want to be the best I can be, have a life as I study to hopefully
become a teacher, and lead the best and healthiest life I can. I want to
stay walking as long as possible, and if ttreatments such as oral medication
Intrathecal Baclofen, Intense physiotherapy, and selective dorsal rhizotomy
help, then they should be used. I don't want to be fixed, just want to be
kept healthy and as pain free as possible, whether this is by conventional
or unconventional means. (I have tried things like accupuncture and
craniosacral therapy too). I think the bottom line is that we are all
individuals, and all entitled to our opinions. Find a physician who is on
your wavelength, no matter how long it takes. You must follow your own hopes
and dreams for your life, not the physicians or your families dreams for
you.

I know I won't be perfect, but need to be the best I can be. If anyone wants
any info re the treatments I have mentioned, feel free to e-mail me.

Climbing off my soapbox now.

Jenn