C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:47:47 EDT
In a message dated 10/01/2001 9:41:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Betty, I know what your going through.  My mom also is a chronic pain
>  sufferer but unlike you she is allergic to so many different kinds of
>  medications that she can only take certain narcotics and then the
>  doctors think she is an addict when she asks for it.   Have you ever
>  been in that situation before?  If so, what did you do to change it?

Fortunately, I have not run across that problem.  I have an almost thirty
year continuity with my dental practice though, and they know me well.  When
my neuro was first trying to diagnose me, he was in touch with all my doctors
and my dentist could easily vouch for my credibility as far as prescription
drug use is concerned.  I have an established history with that practice of
being med compliant.  PLUS, in the beginning, I didn't want to take any
medication if possible.  My neuro had to fight me to get me to take anything.
 Not now.  He doesn't have to fight me now.

Doctors are under scrutiny and some are a bit leery about prescribing certain
classes of drugs.  I can appreciate that, but when they have a problem
prescribing the right drug for legitimate pain management, something is
wrong.  Their fear is keeping them from practicing good medicine, and the
patient suffers.

I'm lucky too, because I am not in an HMO.  I can pick my own doctors and
I've done a lot of shopping in that mall too.  I suppose it's much more
difficult if you cannot choose whom you want to see.

It's a problem, that's for sure.

Betty