C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:16:32 EDT
Gordon,

    She's 14 yrs old & has been mainstreamed at our public school & receiving
extra special education services there for the last 6 yrs.She just got the
Asperger diagnosis in May of this year.From what I have read about the
syndrome, it is correct.She has her quirks because of it, but maybe now her
teachers will not be perplexed by her behavior.Thank you God, there is a name
for it! One thing that bothers me though is this syndrome was discovered in
the 1940's & teachers are saying "We don't know much about this" even today.I
think it's a sad comment on special education degree programs that even 50
years later, precious little is taught to future teachers about Asperger's
Syndrome. Ok , I'll get off my soapbox now...: )

Karen