C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:43:48 -0500
> Is it the disability, or these other things?
>
> Betty

JMHO but it's the other things.
I think depending on how we were raised or how we raise our child determines
thier adult outlook. I can raise Alex as a disability that must be fixed to
in order him to become acceptable to society. Or I can raise Alex as a child
first who has a disability that has some medical solutions that will make
life easier but not change the essence of Alex. One day when he joins this
list to speak for himself ( we'll have to get a second computer first as he
can't have mine ;) )I want his introduction to read, Hi, I'm Alex, I love
sports,the computer, swimming and traveling. BTW I have spastic quad CP. I
don't want it to read I'm a CPer,my name is Alex.
Joanne