C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 01:06:26 EDT
In a message dated 09/01/1999 7:40:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< For the immediate problem of dealing with the books, have her or you invest
 in a luggage bag that has wheels on it. Look for one that has the newer type
 of long ergonomic handle and big wheels.  Trust me, they are a life saver.
 Next, she needs to do something she should have done before the semester
 started.  She needs to contact student resources.  Is she going to a
 community college?

No she has a full academic Scolarship to the University of Alaska at
Anchorage. <A HREF="http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/">University of Alaska
Anchorage Campus-Wide Information System</A>

What type of help does she need in the classroom?  Is
 she going to have to take some English courses?

I think so. I dont what kind of help she will need in the classroom.

 Is she able to navigate on
 her own and make friends by joining clubs?

She is able to walk but she is very very shy and im trying to get her to join
clubs to make friends.

 Is she active in a church?

I think so but she is the Phillipenes and when she moved to america her
family lives in a small island in Alaska called Dutch Harbor so she's never
lived in a big city before.

 She also needs to advocate for herself.

I will try to get her to do that  but again shes very shy.

 If she had to wait for an
 instructor, then she needs to contact the school office and complain. That
 is unacceptable behavior from a faculty member.
 Independant Living Centers are almost universal and she should be able to
 find one through the local United Cerebral Palsy or Easter Seal's.  She
 should learn to keep a contact list of people she's contacted and the
 services she provides.  Warn her that she may need to speak to several
 different people and if the language barrier is severe enough she can
 request the services of a translator (ADA required).  Hope that gets her
 started in the right direction.

Thank you for her advice

Richard Hudson