C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:20:11 -0500
Hi Ken,

  Okay, how did you come to that conclusion? I feel he has been a caring husband, a person who didn't care would have divorced her and or signed her over to the parents. Yet, he spend years accepting his responisibilty to someone who could not repond to him on even the simpliest level. Yet he didn't abandon her. In fact at one point he took her to California for an experimental implant that could simtulate the brain and hopefully wake her up - the time for it to was work was 3 months - he left it there for a year. I think asking people to give up everything and sit at bedside for the rest of their natural when they are young, and have done everything within their power to help is silly. The Indian widows used to throw themselves on their husbands funeral pyre - and that is exactly what you are asking of him. How one feels about this case is a reflection of their own thoughts. People seem to want him to be a martyr so their ideas of what is right is played out - while they live their lives they way they want. And I am, pretty sure most of the people who have quit a while back. He is straddling the fence doing right by his vows, and still have a life. And that upsets people. There is always a different yardstick if it is someone else.

Personally, I feel our ability to save lives and our technology has long outstriped our humanity. If a person can not sustain themselves then nature has decreed that they should not live and man has played God and decided they should. Then said its God's will. There is nothing wrong with death,, it is simply the next step in the existance process. And Terri has been kept from progressing and growing - I sincerely hope after they have all passed on that Terri asks her parents why did they keep her from going to Heaven? or having that next life - where perhaps she would have been happy - not had eating problems, had a equally wonderful husband and her own children? Why did force her into Hell? If she is concious - she long ago went mad becasue she has in effect been in solitary confinment. I sincerely hope she has been unconcious- so she didn't have deal with that, and that she dies soon, and is allowed to complete the journey.

If the parents had been that gung-ho to care for her - why have they left her in an institution all these years? Why didn't they sacrifice their lives to care for her? Hmmm. She is their child. They did try at the onset for three weeks and it was to hard - can you imagine any of the parents of the CP kids just quiting on their kids becasue its to hard - hell, no they find help and have the child at home, and worry about what happens after they are gone. They don't stick them in a home for someone else to care for. What about all the people who take care of their altsheimers parents, spouses? Michael would have been unable to work and still needed help that he would have had to pay for - and we all know care is astronomically expensive because they have us over a barrel. I have read both sides, not just one. The people who want Terri to continue living have placed their slant on the timeline, and events and judged Micheal. I have read timelines with no emotion or agenda's attached that show what has happened without the forcing one to take sides perferally their.

Its the same when you all jumped on the ain't it awful bandwagon on the last rites and communion issue. How many of you knew she had had communion on 3/18? You are so quick to judge and point the finger, and tar and feather people. (not directed you - Ken. All this is just food for thought.

                                     Trisha