C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:54:39 -0600
Kathy Jo,

Mag's right.  Back when I was working 1:1 with folks with disabilities
was shortly after the de-institutionalization movement got a good head
of steam, and Colorado was working on moving people into community
programs.  After 1999, and the Olmstead Supreme Court decision, it has
been easier to get people into least restrictive environments.

It is expensive, but in most cases, it's less expensive than 24/7 care
in a nursing home or similar setting.  This is possible because the
staff in nursing home4s get paid more  than the staff for most
disability providers.  In '88 and '89, when I was doing direct staffing
for folks with disabilities, the minimum wage was increased from $3.85
an hour to $4.25 an hour, so everybody that started when I did got a
raise.  A lot of states are now working to bring up the wages of their
direct support staff to a livable wage.

A lot of the people receiving community based services are covered under
Medicaid Home and Community Based Waiver Services, because in addition
to being a better way for people to live (healthier, more independent),
it's less expensive.  In Wyoming, the cost to house people in our one
remaining institution for people with disabilities is about 3X as much
as serving people in the community.

My grandmother's health in the last two years of her life was so bad
that we had to put her in a nursing home, and it cost $4500.00 per
month.  The average cost to serve someone in community programs in
Wyoming is around $2100.00 per month

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950