C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
heidi tibollo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:59:02 -0700
Hi all,
We have an early intervention assessment this week with a PT and OT to see if we qualify for help for our son with gross motor and possibly Speech and gagging issues. My concern is that the social worker will be there also. She alluded last week that my sons delays may be due to my "overcaring nature" and mothers sometimes are too concerned and hovering. Made my blood boil but I said nothing. Now I am concerned she may influence the PT and OT. Do I say something at the onset of the evaluation? Say something only if they say he doesn't meet the criteria? The social worker thought I should be introducing more foods and found out I am an attachment parent (co-sleeping and extended breastfeeding). My older son was very allergic to all dairy and eggs so I haven't introduced them into my younger son's diet yet and, hello,- he gaggs and doesn't seem to have any interest in chewing. My husband feels that I am responsible for our sons delays "too nurturing yet not engaging enough"-
 his (and his mother's) explaination as to why my son has been globally delayed with motor and intellectual milestones. What do I say to this- do I want to be right, that my son does have some issues and prove my husband wrong. I would be thrilled if I was the reason for all the delays yet somehow I am hurt that he blames me. (to be fair he says he's not blaming me just pointing out what he thinks) Very frustrating.
Thanks
Heidi