C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:34:00 +0000
On Thursday 08 Nov 2001 11:13 pm, Matt Conaway wrote:
> Why not just accept ourselves as we are? Why do we need to invent
> more illusions with pharmaceuticals?  Bodies heal themselves.
> Chemicals just react with each other.
>
> I'm severe quad and tough as nails.  Spasticity is something that
> can be worked through with perseverance.  I've found it to be so.
>
> Does anybody get my point?   Whether or not anybody agrees with me
> is immaterial now.
>

> Matt

Point gotten.

This viewpoint can be distilled into the question "If there is a
procedure/drug which could restore all physical function (i.e. make
us physically AB) should we take it". For certain sections of the
deaf community, with the continueing improvements in cochlear
implants, this decision is coming ever closer - and generating heated
discussion.

Of course in the world of CP, we probably won't be faced with black &
white options, such as this, just varying shades of grey.

As always, its up to the individual, how much/little medical help is
sought. Using medicine to improve quality of life does not mean a
failure to accept ourselves. A diabetic using insulin would not be
accused of failing to accept diabetes.

This thread started when Mags was prescribed a drug which certainly
was not appropriate, that's a failure of her doctor, not the concept
of wanting to improve quality of life.

Cheers

Deri