C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Katherine Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 21:09:45 -0400
Hello,

thanks for the welcome.  I appreciate it.

I did see a neurologist last year, in fact I joined this list briefly
last fall and asked about it and several people suggested I see one.
she said the workup was in the normal range.  I had written down an
exhaustive list of my physical issues (which I think had 19 items) and
she described it in her report as a "litany of complaints."  I was
kinda insulted about that, but I heard that sort of thing is standard
medical terminology and not an insult.

she said I could have CP, because it was a "wastebasket diagnosis," but
I did not have one of the (3 or 4? I can't remember) major forms of it.

she thought I had Asperger's syndrome, because of my clumsiness,
stiffness, lack of social skills and being very introverted.  she
recommended neuropsych testing for that.  I have seen a therapist for
several years for depression/anxiety/abuse issues, and she strongly
disagreed with the Asperger's, telling me definitively that I did not
have it, and she also disagreed with the need for testing.  I had a
full IQ/personality test workup before I saw my current therapist.  It
was completely useless.

My therapist called the neurologist to see why she recommended that
testing, and to discuss whether it was really needed.  the neurologist
never called back.  I hear that's normal, even when neurologists
recommend psychiatric tests.

the neurologist also recommended an MRI to see if I had brain bleed as
an infant.  my therapist did not think that was necessary either -
suppose the MRI showed something - basically, so what?  It wouldn't
change anything.

my therapist actually recommended that I go to Kennedy Krieger in
Baltimore and get evaluated.  I never did that because I tried this
other stuff instead.  I don't know if I could have some form of CP that
is not typical.  the physical therapist told me I definitely did not
have it and to stop worrying about it, but I keep thinking that this is
just so unusual - I don't see many people my age (almost 38) like this.
  the PT also told me that I was walking too slowly and that causes
problems.  people do it when walking hurts, but he said movements get
messed up then.

I had no idea there was anyone diagnosed with CP later in life.  I
thought everyone was diagnosed by about age 5 or so.

I agree that not having a diagnosis makes it hard, but there really
isn't one, other than "i'm just that way." I'm too stiff to be just
considered out of shape.

thanks,

MK