C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:56:50 +0000
On Wednesday 26 Jan 2005 19:31, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I need some help and advice from those of you who have fine motor limits.
> How do you handle picking up coins (or bills, for that matter, but
> especially coins) to pay for something or get change?
>
> My Ryan is learning second grade money math, which includes knowing the
> least amount of coins to use to buy something and how much change you will
> receive. He can work this out like a whiz kid on worksheets and using his
> Dynavox. However, he has much trouble when it comes to doing it with actual
> money. Typically, many children have trouble with that skill.  As you all
> know, it gets even harder when your hands and fingers don't work the way
> you want them to work!
>
> Does anyone have any advice to help me accomodate the fine motor portion?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Wanda

Hi Wanda,

I have problems with money (apart from not having enough!). Picking up from
the floor is hardest, so the aim is not to get it there!! Surfaces with an
"edge" are Ok, slide the coin to the edge where my thumb is waiting (slow if
there's a lot of coins).

I try to arrange to have the correct money in my hand before I go to the cash
desk, this helps because you operate under no stress (i.e. you're not holding
up a queue) so its easier. Also it impresses the cashier because you plonk
down exactly the right amount, proving you are not just a pretty face!!

I don't have such a problem with notes. I can get them out of the wallet
(avoiding the moths!!) pretty good. When the cashier gives back change I try
to take the notes first and (once the notes are in the wallet) then hold my
hand open for the coins.

However the best solution is Debit Cards, most retailers in the UK now use
"chip & pin", they insert your card in a reader and you enter a 4 digit
number - no signature.

Cheers

Deri