C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 00:00:16 -0400
 I've never posted here before, so, forgive me if I'm not doing this right.
> wanted to post somewhere where people would understand.  My 1 year old was
> diagnosed with CP when he was 6 1/2 mos. old.  He gets therapy 5 times per
> week and I thought he was doing wonderful.  He's eating now, rolling over,
> playing, smiling and is so happy.  However, due to an inconclusive MRI, I
> asked for a second opinion.  I wanted to make sure we weren't missing
> anything.  I just came home from the worst appointment.  The new
neurologist
> said he is functioning at a 2-3 month level and has low intelligence.

Dear Christine,
I'm about to give you another way of looking at those results. My son ( 5
1/2) has spastic quad Cp and many other medical issues. The school has him
classified as XSI ( severely multiply impaired) He was 3 when he was finally
healthy enough to take the test. He received the label of profoundly MR ( IQ
no higher than 50) After having that suckered punched feeling you are going
through I really sat down and went through what the test was telling me. It
told me that his spasticity was preventing him from achieving a higher goal.
It told me visual problems were resulting in a less than optimal score. I
took that report and used it as a jump off point and not Alex's final
destination. He has had several surgeries to help lessen how spastic his
legs are. That in turn resulted in better balance and less need to use his
hands for balance. If his hands become free from the need to support his
balancing he could use them to do other tasks ( yes even stack those stupid
blocks). He received intense PT/OT. We also try to make him think of ways to
accomplish a desired task that may be unusual but still effective ( in other
words , to think things through). We had his vision re-evaluated and got
some visual therapy going at school. In a single years time he has gone from
profoundly MR to TMI TO EMI. I expect things to continue improving as he
gets healthier and gains more control over his body. His intelligence never
changed but his ability to demonstrate it did thus the improvement in the
"numbers". I really wish that the reports instead of stating a number would
instead say something along the line of PT/OT/VI ( or whatever therapy is
appropiate) would  help encourage Kid A to reach maximum potential. So think
of why the numbers are low ( DUH answers are self defeating) and get help to
lessen the restrictions these factors have on your child.
Joanne