C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:11:59 -0700
Ken, I can see France and Spain... but not Belgium or the Netherlands...
And I think you're right about the west and southwest becoming a Mexican
territory again, the demographics are sure in the favor.

People always say the minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage, it
was supposed to be a starting wage for high schoolers and then they were
supposed to climb the rungs of the employment ladder... the only problem,
is that small businesses tend to keep people on min. wage as long as
they'll put up with it.  for instance, the supported living agency that
helps me, tends to pay about 10.00 per hour plus tiny, tiny 50 cent raises
if a person gets good reviews. after eight years that's got to be
frustrating for my one helper who completed her master's degree a year ago.
She has begun to look for work in public administration. The agency offered
her a job as co-director, but that means no overtime at 45,000 a year, and
you get called out at all hours. She says that's not enough compensation
for her in her early 40's. It's a good job for mid 20's to mid thirties.  I
am lucky to have had angie so long, other clients are always looking for
new workers. On the other hand, other clients have behaviorial challenges
that I don't. (though god forbid I forget to say could you and please once
in a while) anyway, I think more pay could help keep workers happier in
their job.  100 clients and just about as many workers now with the agency.
It's a mid sized biz now, I guess.
hugs to my favorite conservative,
Mag

Tamar Raine
Now serving tee shirts! and soon to come, Maui posters and other items;
www.cafepress.com/tamarmag